HMS MEDscience offers an exciting and engaging hands-on experience for young, passionate minds with an interest in the medical sciences, health care, or STEM fields. No textbooks, no homework! Your classroom will be an emergency room simulation laboratory on the Harvard Medical School campus where you and your teammates learn to treat a high-tech “patient” with state-of-the art realistic and medically accurate features.
Your one week program includes:
· Participation in simulated medical emergencies as a health care team member
· Training in specific medical skills such as inserting patient breathing tubes, starting intravenous lines (IVs), suturing lacerations, etc.
· Tours of Longwood area medical facilities such as Boston Children’s Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, and Brigham and Women’s hospitals.
· Learning about multiple career pathways from guest health care professionals
· Interactive instruction on seven body systems
· Earning 2018 Heartsaver CPR AED certification
· Receiving guidance from Medical School faculty and staff on pursuing further opportunities in health care fields
· Compose learning logs reflecting your experiences
The MEDscience instructional model has proven highly effective with multiple student learning styles. Our curriculum fosters the necessary critical thinking, problem solving, communication, and teamwork skills to successfully compete for career opportunities in the burgeoning health care arena. You will complete the program as a critically-thinking citizen leading a healthier personal life. Please join us!
1. Who is eligible to apply?
Any student who is currently in 9th-12th grade (student must have completed 9th grade before the summer session begins).
2. What are the program dates?
Session 1: June 11th, 2018 - June 15th, 2018 Session 6: July 23rd, 2018 - July 27th, 2018
Session 2: June 18th, 2018 - June 22nd, 2018 Session 7: July 30th, 2018 - August 3rd, 2018
Session 3: June 25th, 2018 - June 29th, 2018 Session 8: August 6th, 2018 - August 10th, 2018
Session 4: July 9th, 2018 - July 13th, 2018 Session 9: August 13th, 2018 - August 17th, 2018
Session 5: July 16th, 2018 - July 20th, 2018 Session 10: August 20th, 2018 - August 24th, 2018
3. Are there overnight accommodations?
No, the MEDscience Summer Program does not make overnight accommodations.
4. What time does class start? End?
Monday 9:00am - 4:00pm
Tuesday 9:00am - 4:00pm
Wednesday 9:00am - 4:00pm
Thursday 9:00am - 4:00pm
Friday 9:00am - 2:00pm
5. What is the Tuition?
The Summer 2018 Program tuition is $2,000.
To inquire about possible scholarship availability, please email MEDsciencesummer@hms.harvard.edu.
6. What are the application deadlines?
Feb 1st Online Applications open.
March 31st Applications close.
Both Student Applications AND Teacher Assessment must be received by this date.
April 15th Students notified of application decision via e-mail.
May 1st Tuition due.
7. Will the program provide me with any certifications?
All participating students will receive CPR-certification and a certification of Harvard Medical School MEDscience program completion.
8. If I am accepted, do I have to be there for the whole week?
YES. Your commitment to the team is vital to to the program. Any absence affects your teammates.
9. Should I bring lunch?
Breakfast, lunch, and a healthy snack are provided each day. Please inform us of any dietary restrictions.
10. Where is the class located?
Our primary location on the historic Longwood Quadrangle in the Armenise Building. We will also take trips to local hospitals and skills centers.
Harvard Medical School Campus
Armenise Building, Room 123
210 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA
Follow this link for a map and directions: www.hmsmedscience.com/directions/
11. I have a question that is not answered here, who do I contact?
Please contact us at MEDsciencesummer@hms.harvard.edu.