HMS MEDscience offers an exciting and engaging hands-on experience for young, passionate minds with an interest in the medical sciences, health care, or STEM fields. No textbooks, no homework! Your classroom will be an emergency room simulation laboratory on the Harvard Medical School campus where you and your teammates learn to treat a high-tech “patient” with state-of-the art realistic and medically accurate features.
Your one week program includes:
· Participating in simulated medical emergencies as a health care team member
· Training in specific medical skills such as inserting patient breathing tubes, starting intravenous lines (IVs), suturing lacerations, etc.
· Learning about multiple career pathways from guest health care professionals
· Earning Heartsaver CPR AED certification
· Receiving guidance from Medical School faculty and staff on pursuing further opportunities in health care fields
· Composing learning logs reflecting your experiences
The MEDscience instructional model has proven highly effective with multiple student learning styles. Our curriculum fosters the necessary critical thinking, problem solving, communication, and teamwork skills to successfully compete for career opportunities in the burgeoning health care arena. You will complete the program as a critically-thinking citizen leading a healthier personal life. Please join us!
1. Who is eligible to apply?
Any student who is currently in 9th-12th grade (student must have completed 9th grade before the summer session begins).
2. What are the program dates?
Summer 2019 Dates
Week 1 - June 10, 2019 - June 14, 2019
Week 2 - June 17, 2019 - June 21, 2019
Week 3 - June 24, 2019 - June 28, 2019
Week 4 - July 8, 2019 - July 12, 2019
Week 5 - July 15, 2019 - July 19, 2019
Week 6 - July 22, 2019 - July 26, 2019
Week 7 - July 29, 2019 - August 2, 2019
Week 8 - August 5, 2019 - August 9, 2019
Week 9 - August 12, 2019 - August 16, 2019
Week 10 - August 19, 2019 - August 23, 2019
3. Are there overnight accommodations?
No, the MEDscience Summer Program does not make overnight accommodations.
4. What time does class start? End?
Monday 9:00am - 4:00pm
Tuesday 9:00am - 4:00pm
Wednesday 8:00am - 4:00pm**
Thursday 9:00am - 4:00pm
Friday 9:00am - 2:00pm
Earlier start time**
5. What is the Tuition?
Tuition for Summer 2018 was $2,000 per week. Summer 2019 is TBD.
6. What are the application deadlines?
Feb 1st, 2019 Online Applications open.
March 31st, 2019 Applications close.
Both Student Applications AND Teacher Assessment must be received by this date.
April 15th, 2019 Students notified of application decision via e-mail.
May 1st, 2019 Tuition due.
7. Will the program provide me with any certifications?
All participating students will receive both CPR and Stop the Bleed Certifications, and a certificate of completion from HMS MEDscience program completion.
8. If I am accepted, do I have to be there for the whole week?
YES. Your commitment to the team is vital to to the program. Any absence affects your teammates.
9. Should I bring lunch?
Breakfast, lunch, and a healthy snack are provided each day. Please inform us of any dietary restrictions.
10. Where is the class located?
On the historic Longwood Quadrangle in the Armenise Building.
Harvard Medical School Campus
Armenise Building, Room 123
210 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA
Follow this link for a map and directions: www.hmsmedscience.com/directions/
11. I have a question that is not answered here, who do I contact?
Please contact us at MEDsciencesummer@hms.harvard.edu.